Tyler Surma joined Great Plains Orthopaedics after completing an adult reconstruction fellowship at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan.
Having always had an interest in anatomy and musculoskeletal care, he received his degree in Athletic Training from the University of Illinois with the bronze tablet recognition. He first became interested in hip and knee replacement when he had the opportunity to assist during surgery while attending medical school at the University of Illinois at Chicago. After medical school, he completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Missouri and served as the chief administrative resident. At graduation, he was recognized with the Dr. Menard Leadership Award and the Dr. Litton Academic Excellence Award. He completed an additional year of training specializing in the care of hip and knee arthritis. He is passionate about the care of his patients and feels rewarded to be able to help them regain their mobility with nonoperative and operative care of hip and knee arthritis.
His practice philosophy is simple. Dr. Surma treats each patient as if they were a family member and recommends individualized treatment based on each patient’s symptoms, diagnosis, and goals of treatment.
Dr. Surma enjoys being outdoors, golfing, and playing music as well as spending time with his wife and three young children.
Dr. Surma has a clinical interest in direct anterior hip replacement, partial and total knee replacement, and revisions of failed hip and knee replacements. He performs surgery at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center and the Center for Health on Route 91.
What Patients Are Saying
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Beaumont Hospital (Royal Oak, MI)
- Orthopedic Surgery Adult Reconstruction Fellowship
- University of Missouri-Columbia
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Resident
- Administrative Chief Resident 2018-2019
Medical School 2010-2014
- University of Illinois at Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Doctor of Medicine – Honors, AOA
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL)
- Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training – Highest Honors
- Minor in Liberal Arts & Sciences – Chemistry
- University of Illinois Bronze Tablet, 2010
- Top 3% of Graduates in College of Athletic Training Student