Stephen Orlevitch, M.D. has been a member of the Great Plains Orthopaedics team since 1999. His areas of special emphasis are sports medicine, arthroscopic surgery, and knee and shoulder joint reconstruction.
Dr. Orlevitch conducts ongoing research and has given numerous presentations including “Management of Arthritis for Today’s Athlete” and “Current Controversies in Shoulder Surgery”. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and Arthroscopic Association of North America.
Dedicated to the care of athletes, Dr. Orlevitch has provided coverage of many NCAA, High School and professional teams including:
- Temple University Athletics 1994–1998
- University of Houston Athletics 1998–1999
- Houston Astros 1998–1999
- Houston Rockets 1998–1999
- Team Physician Peoria Chiefs 1999–Present
- Team Physician Peoria Rivermen 1999–2014
- Former Team Physician Limestone and Morton High Schools
- Team Physician Bradley Athletics
- Team Physician for East Peoria and Notre Dame high schools
Dr. Orlevitch always knew he would go into medicine, but injuries to his knee and shoulder in high school football piqued his interest in sports medicine and orthopaedics. He says, “We focus, and rightly so, on the physical injury of the athlete or worker. We cannot forget, however, the huge psychological toll an injury can have on them. A positive attitude can lead to better outcomes. I believe that the physician, therapist and staff can, and should, foster that attitude while being supportive and empathetic.”
Outside of work, Dr. Orlevitch enjoys the competition that golf offers. He is involved in coaching youth soccer and softball. Family time is also very important to him. Dr. Orlevitch is involved with charity work at church and school.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, TX) – Sports Medicine
- Temple University Hospital (Philadelphia, PA) – Orthopaedic Surgery
- Temple University Hospital (Philadelphia, PA) – General Surgery
Medical School 1989–1993
- Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia, PA) – M.D.
- University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) – B.A., Biological Basis of Behavior
- Honors / Awards –Dean’s List, Conrad Marcel Schulumberger College Scholarship