Miguel Ramirez, MD is an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in shoulder, elbow, and sports medicine. He is fellowship trained in complex shoulder and elbow reconstruction, and has had specific training in the latest minimally invasive arthroscopic and open surgery techniques. His interests include anatomic and reverse total shoulder replacement, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, shoulder and elbow trauma, and sports injury-related procedures, including “Tommy John” surgery.
Dr. Ramirez graduated cum laude from Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA, where he was a Doris Duke Research Fellow. After medical school, Dr. Ramirez received his orthopedic surgery training from Union Memorial Hospital, Johns Hopkins Hospital, R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, and The Curtis National Hand Center. During his residency, he received four research awards and completed a Medical Device Fellowship at the FDA. During this time, he participated in the care of the athletes of several professional teams including the Baltimore Ravens and the Washington Nationals. He subsequently completed an ASES Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship at MedStar Union Memorial Hospital under nationally recognized shoulder and elbow surgeon Dr. Anand Murthi.
Dr. Ramirez is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, where he is involved in research and teaching of medical students and residents. He has authored over 20 articles and book chapters based on his research and has presented at numerous national and international conferences. Dr. Ramirez is also team physician for the Bradley University Braves and the Peoria Chiefs Professional Baseball team.
Born in the Dominican Republic, Dr. Ramirez is fluent in Spanish and is committed to treating our underserved communities. He lives in Peoria with his wife, who is also a physician herself, and their two small children. When not at the hospital, Dr. Ramirez enjoys spending time with his children, staying active, CrossFit, cycling, and playing basketball.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- MedStar Union Memorial Hospital (Baltimore, MD) – Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- Union Memorial Hospital (Baltimore, MD) – Orthopaedic Surgery
- The Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD) – Orthopaedic Surgery
- The Curtis National Hand Center (Baltimore, MD) – Orthopaedic Surgery
- R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center (Baltimore, MD) – Orthopaedic Surgery
Medical School 2003–2008
- Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA) – M.D. (Cum Laude)
- University of Kansas (Lawrence, KS) – B.S., Genetics (Honors in Biology)