MaryElizabeth Rashid, MD, brings a unique skillset to our orthopaedic team. With a special interest in treating wrist instability, Dr. Rashid was trained as a general surgeon and completed a hand surgery fellowship in the Department of Orthopaedics at the University of Minnesota. Most recently, she served as Chief of Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery in the Department of Orthopaedics at St. Louis University in St. Louis, Missouri.
One of Dr. Rashid’s most memorable cases is when she had the opportunity to help a young female who had a severe crush injury to her left hand resulting from an auto accident. After multiple reconstructive surgeries, the patient now enjoys almost full function of her hand.
Dr. Rashid is actively involved with many trade association including the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and the American College of Surgeons. During her hand surgery fellowship, Dr. Rashid conducted research entitled: “Retrospective Review of Perilunate Dislocations and Perilunate Fracture-Dislocations.” She has also given numerous presentations at organizations including the American Association for Surgery of the Hand Annual Meeting Scientific Program.
In addition to her professional pursuits, she is a dedicated athlete who enjoys running and continues to participate in marathons. She has previously completed numerous triathlons, including Olympic Distance triathlons. She also enjoys sailing and yoga. She and her husband have a son and 2 daughters.
- American Board of Surgery
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) – Hand Surgery Fellow
- University at Buffalo (Buffalo, NY) – General Surgery
- Administrative Chief Resident for PGY 5 year
Medical School 2000–2004
- University at Buffalo School of Medicine (Buffalo, NY) – Doctor of Medicine
- Honors / Awards – Secretary of Polity / Medical Student Government
- Le Moyne College (Syracuse, NY) – Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry (Fine Arts Minor, Chemistry Minor)
- Honors / Awards – summa cum laude