- Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Knee and Shoulder Joint Reconstruction
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Education / Residency / Fellowship:
- University of Missouri (Columbia, MO) – B.A., Microbiology
- Honors / Awards – Graduated Cum Laude
Graduate School 1977–1978
- University of Missouri (Columbia, MO) – Graduate Studies, Microbiology
Medical School 1978–1982
- Chicago Medical School, University of Health Sciences (North Chicago, IL) – M.D.
- Cook County Hospital (Chicago, IL) – Orthopaedic Surgery
- Bernard R. Cahill, M.D., Director (Peoria, IL) – Sports Medicine
Mark R. Phillips, M.D. has been a member of the Great Plains Orthopaedics team since 1987. In addition to his role as an orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Phillips is a clinical assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria and previously served seven years as vice chairman, department of orthopaedics at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria. He is also an active member of The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine and a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and Illinois Orthopaedic Society.
With an emphasis on sports medicine, injury and prevention, arthroscopic surgery, and soft tissue reconstruction of knee and shoulder, Dr. Phillips has helped return many patients to their previous lifestyles. He has served as attending physician for dozens of sporting events and is the team physician or orthopaedic consultant for many local teams at high school, university and professional levels.
Dr. Phillips is well-published and has given numerous presentations including, “Adolescent Sports Injury” and “Congenital Absent Lumbosacral Facets with Computerized Tomography Documentation”.
Born in Peoria, Dr. Phillips and his wife, Lisa Phillips, M.D., have two adult children.